Monday 30 September 2013

Beer of the Month - September 2013




Last month I said I would move away form my preferred dark beer flavors and spend a bit more time with an APA.

As it turns out, it was a pleasure.  I wouldn't say I am a convert, but I did enjoy a good few pints of Tuatara APAThose in the beer community will know that this is not a traditional APA - it is not an American Pale Ale at all.  It is in fact a very kiwi APA, full name Aotearoa Pale Ale.

http://tuatarabrewing.co.nz/range/aotearoa-pale-ale-nzapa/The story goes that they were getting underway with a good following for the American version, but ran into supply problems of the hops, so undeterred re-engineered the recipe with some hops found locally and voila, Aotearoa Pale Ale was born.

It goes down nice, particularly if it is not over chilled.  I enjoyed mine at Cuckoo Cocktail Emporium on the Wellington Waterfront.  Their website, to be fair, sucks, but on a fine Wellington afternoon, it is a great place for a cleansing ale on the way home.  I also stopped in at Bin 44, also on the Waterfront. Not as quirky as Cuckoo, but equally as nice on a fine afternoon, and they do have a much bigger selection of craft beers (Cuckoo has a very light beer selection).

For October, with summer just around the corner, I may have to sample some IPA's.  I am really not big on IPA's at all, but alas, one must not be stuck in a rut!

Until next time, enjoy a pint of craft beer, and as always please drink responsibly!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment