Monday 15 April 2013

Shearer vs Key... My money is on...

You know, I like the leader of the opposition, David Shearer.  He seems to be an honest bloke and like Prime Minister John Key he seems to be down to earth.


David Shearer, Leader of the Opposition
The thing is, who do I trust the most, and therefore who do I want to lead New Zealand?  Despite how much I like Mr Shearer, it is still Mr Key.  Even though I am not in total agreement with Key's politics or the way he is handling some of the current controversies I'd still pick him over Shearer.

Why?  Simple.  I am concerned that David Shearer is weak.  I listened to him on Larry Williams' NewsTalkZB drive time show today, right after Larry had interviewed the Prime Minister.  

John Key was authoritative and to the point.  The PM said what he believed, told us what why he was making changes, owned up to mistakes and was succinct.  He was authoritative - I felt I could 'trust him' to do what he says.

Not withstanding that Larry Williams is one of the few right leaning broadcasters in NZ, David Shearer was insipid and weak.  Mr Shearer was nice, very nice.  He was honest, and he was sincere.  But he wasn't authoritative.  And in my opinion, to lead the left in particular, a political landscape full of trade union, media and academic bullies, you have to be very, very strong.  You have to be the biggest bully.  Like Helen Clarke and Michael Cullen were.  David Shearer, while I like you, you don't fill me with confidence - in fact worse than that, I fear you will be only ever be the mouthpiece of bullies.

Apart from a lack of a solid coalition partner, my money is on John Key returning for a 3rd term in 2014.  But he will need a coalition partner and his options are currently limited.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment